Saturday, May 31, 2014

SCIENCE NEWS Age and origin of Earth's early fossils questioned by Ashley Yeager 7:35pm, May 27, 2014




[ My intention with my blog is to simply collect articles of interest to me for purposes of future reference.  I do my best to indicate who has actually composed the articles. NONE of the articles have been written by me.  – Louis Sheehan ]



Posted but not written by:  Lou Sheehan


SCIENCE NEWS

Age and origin of Earth's early fossils questioned

by Ashley Yeager

7:35pm, May 27, 2014





Some of Earth's earliest life-forms were thought to have left their mark roughly 3.45 billion years ago in minerals found in what is now the Barberton greenstone belt of South Africa. However, the minerals formed closer to 2.9 billion years ago, and the microstructures within them were not created by early microorganisms, scientists argue May 26 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The results suggest that scientists will have to search for a different set of signatures of early life on Earth and also on other planets.





                                                                                       



No comments:

Post a Comment